Barra in Action - it's never too late to learn
- Would you, or someone you know, like to do a course that would help you in your job, but you would want to be able to do it without leaving the island?
- Does the thought of filling in forms put you off applying for something you would really like to do?
- Would you want to learn to drive but are frustrated by the theory test?
- ould you like to help the kids more with their homework but aren't too sure about your reading or spelling?
- Are problems with using numbers keeping you back at work?
- Would you love to be able to see and speak to your grandchildren on the computer but wouldn't know where to start?
As we at Cothrom would say - 'it is never too late to learn'. Help with all this is available, free, on Barra.
Cothrom provide tutoring and support in Castlebay, in a private, professional, and confidential manner. There is no big fanfare - we get on with helping people with what it is they would like to learn.
The service has been tailored to meet the needs of the people of Barra and Vatersay with one-to-one tutoring on topics like using the computer and social media, help with driving theory test, filling in forms and reading, spelling, and number work. Someone beginning their learning with Cothrom would meet with trained tutor Helen MacKinnon to talk about what they would like to learn and together they would make a plan for how to go about doing that. Helen can also help with finding apprenticeships.
The Uist office provide visiting tutors to study for Scottish Vocational Qualifications in a variety of areas including Hospitality Services, Business and Administration, and Childcare. Please see all courses offered under the 'Training' tab.
Cothrom have their Barra base in the Children's Centre building opposite Castlebay School. You can find out more about what is available by dropping in or by phoning 01871 810779. Helen is usually there on Mondays and Thursdays between 9.30am and 2.30pm.
There is also the potential to develop this service further, through the involvement of volunteers. If you have experience of supporting adults in their learning, and would like to know more about what possible volunteering opportunities there might be, please contact Helen on the number above.
You can get in touch with the Barra centre by phone on Mondays and Thursdays between 9:30am and 2:30pm, on 01871 810779.
Alternatively, you can fill out an enquiry form and one of our members of staff will get back to you.